Taking full advantages of pdfLaTeX — eps figure solution
Advantages of pdfLaTeX
LaTeX users generate postscript output using dvips. An alternative is to use pdfTeX to generate PDF files directly. The PDF format offers a number of advantages over postscript:
- Smaller uncompressed file sizes.
- Much more efficient bitmap inclusion.
- Availability of hyperlinks.
- Better accessibility for inexperienced users.
- Adobe’s Acrobat reader offers facilities for electronic presentations
Limitation of pdfTeX
1. postscript figures cannot yet be directly imported into documents
be bitmaps (PNG or JPG), a simple format of PDF, or MetaPost output
Solutions for eps figure
1. convert into pdf file
2. convert into png file using command line tool: ‘convert’
example: convert -density 300 file.ps file.png
another way to convert ps to eps is using command “ps2eps”
1) sudo apt-get install ps2eps
2) ps2eps -f inputfile
Actually, you can also use GIMP on Ubuntu to make conversion of different formats.
However, according to my experiences, some time the quality of output image is not very good compared to that
form ps2pes command.
Post a Comment